DEPARTMENT OF LANGUAGES
‘’ Without language one cannot talk to people and understand them; one cannot share their hopes and aspirations, grasp their history, appreciate their poetry or savour their song’’ (Nelson Mandela), Lyons (1970), also has this to say about language(s): Languages are the principal systems of communication used by particular groups of human beings within the particular society of which they are members.
In today’s era, the basic knowledge of a single or more language has become crucial as language has become a major tool for forging friendships, cultural ties as well as economic relationships. Most importantly, language is also the basis of all education. School education is predominantly language oriented; reading, writing, arithmetic is all based on language proficiency. Knowledge of languages is therefore, the doorway to wisdom and further exploration.
The department follows the rationale for teaching language(s) in Ghanaian schools as follows:
For English language,
- As the official language, it is language of government and administration
- It is the language of commerce and the learned profession and the media
- As an international language, it is the most widely used on the internet.
- Beyond the lowest level of education that is from Primary 4 English is the medium of instruction.
- What it means is that success in education at all levels depends, to a very large extent, on the individual’s proficiency in the language.
- It is for these and other reasons that English Language is a major subject of study in Ghanaian schools
The study of Ghanaian languages in our schools also has the following rationale:
- It promotes conversation, as it is used most in conversations
- It is used in studies/teaching for a better understanding in the lower levels of basic education
- The use of the Ghanaian language in school pulls the mind for detailed understanding
- Again, it broadens our horizon on various things and experiences.
- It again gives the Ghanaian child the ability to read and write well
- The Ghanaian language is the foundation stone for building other language learning.
The Languages Department is the academic department that has the responsibility of equipping teacher trainees with the requisite knowledge, skills and competencies in the content and methodology of English Language, Ewe and Twi. The Department has two units: The English Language and Ghanaian Language Units. The Ghanaian Languages Unit is further divided into Ewe and Twi units.
Currently, the department has staff population of ten (10). Six male tutors and four female tutors.